Sunday, March 27, 2011

Sugar and Spice cookies

Studying for exams is like preparing for an impending doom. Especially when it is the Mumbai University which turns all thinking students into rote-learning answer spewing automatons. So while I study the most boring aspects of finance, I knew I just had spice up my life. 

I had this recipe stashed in my one-note (pure awesome isn't it?) folder since long. I don't know who it is by, if you recognise it drop me a line I will link back to you. 

The recipe called for brown sugar, all the stores nearby happened to run out of it at the same time, so I just substituted with normal caster sugar and added two tablespoons of maple syrup for the wetness provided by the brown sugar. You can also sub maple syrup for honey. I was supposed to use molasses, which I doubt you will get in India, so just use maple syrup or honey instead. 


Recipe for Sugar and Spice cookies, as adapted from the net

Ingredients: 
1 cup caster sugar (or brown sugar)
2 tbsp honey or maple syrup (not needed if using brown sugar)
1/2 cup butter (i used a mixture of unsalted and salted butter)
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg
2 cups flour (maida)
2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp ground cloves (or nutmeg, I used cloves)
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt (not needed if using salted butter)

Method: 
1. Sift all the dry ingredients except the sugar
2. Beat the butter sugar and vanilla till light and fluffy 
3. beat in the egg till it is creamy
4. Beat in the dry ingredients till combined
5. Refrigerate the cookie dough after covering it for a while before rolling it out on a floured surface and then cutting it


6. Bake in a 180C oven for 15-20 mins or till the bottom of the cookies become golden in colour




Let the cookies cool before you eat them. My home is full or dough eating monsters. Cookie dough is heavenly, but don't eat too much. 

You can also sprinkle the cookies with sugar and cinnamon before baking them. You can easily make around 3 dozen cookies with this recipe. 

The cloves add the right amount of spicy hit which makes this cookie amazing. My finance blues are gone!


9 comments:

  1. Damn!
    I cant believe I actually missed them!
    They look mouth watering. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can use a little bit of melted gur for molasses. it's not as dark but it's ratio of sugar is to molasses is perfect. use less sugar in that case. I like the flavor as well, but if u don't, some extra cinnamon will take care of it.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @reshmi and raksha: thank you!

    @Vasu: You may just get lucky tomorrow!

    @nimi: well, i can always bake some. Now you can too!

    @tania: It was damn stupid of me not to think of gur. But I was happy with using maple syrup (which I dont really like and want to get rid of). The flavour wasn't affected a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious with perfect shape!!

    I am here for first time, happy following your blog..

    Valar
    http://valarskitchen-basics.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Go ahead! I am listening.